Sunday, April 25, 2010

Inishowen in Colour


When it comes to art I think my favourite medium has to be ink and acrylic. That makes me sound like I know what I’m talking about, which I don’t. Anytime I ever picked up a paint brush the only thing I made was a mess. But as the man says, I know what I like and I like these.

Maybe I’m a bit biased, though, because they are by another local artist and yet again most of his paintings are of the little peninsula where I live. The one above is of An Grianan of Aileach, for example, a place which I thought I’d talk a lot of on this blog when I first started, but which seems to have fallen by the wayside. Maybe I’ll do a Grianan post someday soon.

Anyway, they’re by a man named John Quigley. If his work reminds you of Jim Fitzpatrick then you’ve a good eye; the two men worked together for over a decade. Mr Quigley has also had art commissioned by Paramount Studios, Riverdance and Guinness, among others, while Seamus Heaney and the late Senator Edward Kennedy are just some of the notable names to have given his work a home. A local boy done good, from the way I see it.


3 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Wow!!! Those pictures are great. What talent.
Mary

TheAmazingFoxworthBlog said...

Cool pics - loving the Grianan!!!

JJ said...

Such solidity and vibrant use of green. I like these a lot. And now I have some idea where you are. I just looked up Innishowen on the map (I seem to be doing a lot of looking things up on maps tonight.)

Another little coincidence. In my novella, I had Mary Molloy's croft called Buncrana. I had no idea why, but I see it's in your neck of the woods.

Related Posts with Thumbnails