Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shameless? Moi?

Ok, so this is yet another post thanking a new follower. It’s not like I’ve nothing better to ramble on about, but I do like to say hello. Anyway, I’m well chuffed with this newest recruit- a certain Martin McGinley, editor of our biggest and best local paper, The Derry Journal. (Sorry Mr Gill and Ms Glen, if you ever happen to read this, but they do have three editions a week and a much larger circulation!)

Martin, you may not realise it, but we kinda know each other already. We have mutual friends and the same taste in pubs, but that’s not what I’m talking about. A year or two ago when I was doing my MA in journalism I contacted you a few times regarding contacts and the like. Your replies were always so helpful and friendly, completely out of sorts with your fearsome reputation. ;) Anyway, I really appreciated it.

Hey Martin, seeing as your such an amazing guy and all, do you fancy giving us a job? The recession hasn’t been kind to us newbie journos, but I hear Johnston Press are keen to expand their payroll (especially when it comes to those lucky subs) so I’m sure my appointment at the Journal wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Oh, and please don’t take this blog as an example of my journalistic excellence. As I explained before here somewhere, my self-indulgent online blathering offsets my super-tight, typographically wonderful, fact-tastic news copy in real life. I can let you know more about my local and national experience and overall general awesomeness, if you like, but I think I should cut this short now for I fear I’m straying too far from blog business.

Well, you can’t blame a girl for trying.

3 comments:

The Pixie Knoll said...

That's a girl! I think Mr. Martin McGinley would do his readers a fair justice by adding you to his payroll. Despite what you might think about your blog, I think it is a fun read. Making news happen even when there are no headline events is a sign of a true writer. I have enjoyed your banter here and I'm sure many readers would enjoy an article or few in your local paper too. Perhaps, Mr. McGinley might consider a few free-lance articles just to get the opinions of his readers. :-)

Keep up the good work!

Hugs,
Lori

Róisín said...

Aw, thanks Pixie. You always have such kind things to say. The truth of the matter is that Johnston Press, which own's Mr McGinley's fine publication, is as bogged down by the credit crunch as any other print media outlet these days. I think I chose to enter the wrong profession at the wrong time!

The Pixie Knoll said...

haha....do not worry, I think we all chose the wrong professions! In my opinion...and this is speaking of the states here, it seems the only way to make your wallet fatter here is to be in politics! Lord help my soul if I should ever chose that path to follow. With that said, in the meantime, I will go on enjoy reading your blog until your fine words hit the major media outlets. And, then, I'll have to have your paper shipped to me. haha <3

Hugs,
Lori

Related Posts with Thumbnails